Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Kingdom of Evils Is Within You


Guys, check out this book immediately. I was reading about it in Elizabeth Lunbeck's awesome book The Psychiatric Persuasion. She uses tons of case studies from the Boston Psychopathic Hospital, founded by psychiatrists and social workers in 1912 as a modern institution that they hoped would replace the nineteenth-century asylum, with its physical restraints and other treatments they considered barbaric.

The Kingdom of Evils was written by the head psychiatrist dude and the chief social worker of the BPH. It's amazing—100 case studies ranging from no. 1, "Agnes Jackson, pathetic nuisance," to no. 100, "Henry Allen, draughtsman who had to work alone." Don't miss no. 23, "Julia Brown, who lived as a man." I think my own favorite is no. 2, "Richard Sully, morbid altruist." Richard kept founding clubs for boys. He brought refreshments to the meetings, and resorted to eating them himself when no one showed up.

Just check out the table of contents and tell me which diagnosis fits you best. I think I'm "enraged by the vindictive ticking of the clock" (no. 69)—why must time pass so quickly during my fellowship year?! I am enraged!

I vowed to stay off the nerd crack, but it's a monster.

P.S. I'm back in Indiana for two weeks to look at more sexual case histories.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Stunning. When your fellowships run dry, I bet you could make big money by hanging out on the Pratt campus and selling T-shirts with the "WOMAN ART STUDENT IMMIGRATION SERVICE" table from page 4.

Could-be-a-model said...

I'm beginning to worry you identify a little too much with your subjects.

CheeseQuest said...

I think you're a "ladylike adventuress" myself (case 5).

Could-be-a-model said...

Ok, I take it back!

Do you suppose I could put that on a business card?

MasterGote said...

Are you looking at a preview, cause I can't see any of it from where I'm looking. If we're just going by the sporadic table of contents, then I call "Elliot Caulderwood, so-called little fiend quite"

CheeseQuest said...

The entire thing should come up from the link. Try going to Academic Crack (i.e. Google Books) and doing a search for "kingdom of evils."

Vgirl said...

Dear Ms. Cheese,

Please come home soon. I have a new old movie for us to watch. Also, I'm number 26...can't decide if I should work or fight.

Best,
Vgirl

CheeseQuest said...

Fight!

Back home the 11th.