Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Panini Awareness Week


CheeseQuest is a proud sponsor of Panini Awareness Week.

This delightful panini* was brought to you by Pax Wholesome Foods on 6th Avenue and 40th Street, right across the street from Bryant Park and one long block from NYPL.

Panini Awareness Week is actually a direct ancestor of the CheeseQuest Challenge. Back when I was copy editing for a living, there was one day when every upscale lunch place in midtown started selling panini. It really happened all at once. One morning when I got out of the subway,  there were even barkers at this little deli, yelling, "Hot panini! Hot panini!" Except they were talking so excitedly it sounded like hoppaneenee, hoppaneenee. At lunch that day, my coworker GF overheard a guy saying, "Lemme have one o' them pye-annies." How that grated on the ears! We decided it was necessary to institute Panini Awareness Week. GF made some signs that we posted near our cubicles. My idea was to eat a different panini every day of the week, but that didn't seem to catch on. Nonetheless, P.A.W. was a big success. I noticed the guys at the little deli always sold out all their panini, at least for a while.

We have accomplished a lot, but there is work to be done. While you can get panini in locales as remote as Cheeseville, I believe that panini awareness is not enough—we have to work up to panini consciousness. Hence, next year we will start P.C.W. Start getting ready now. Clear your mind of everything but panini and become one with it. Mmmmmm...

*I realize the singular is panino, but I'm an Amurrcan.

4 comments:

your small american said...

Only YOU can promote panini awareness!

Anonymous said...

Should I be concerned that cheese is allegedly favored so heavily in your diet?

Just Curious

CheeseQuest said...

Gee, anonymous, I have no idea who you could be!

Anonymous said...

well, what did you expect, my dear? kudos for carbs? cheers for heart attack making food choices?